Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Never a Dull Moment

A few days ago, I was asked (as I often am) what exactly I like about public relations. For some reason this is always a hard question to answer, not because I don't know what I like about it but I guess it's just kind of hard to articulate. 

When I first applied to the PR major in UGA's Grady College of Journalism, I have to admit I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I remember some mention in a class of event planning as a career, which I thought was the coolest thing you could do for a job, and after doing some research PR seemed like the logical path to get me there. However, I still didn't know what exactly public relations was. I'd taken marketing classes for my business major, and don't think I really grasped the difference between the two industries. 

The farther I got in my classes, the more I fell in love with the field of public relations. I love the writing, the pitching (as much as anyone can actually love pitching) and all of the opportunities to be creative. I also love the constant interaction with people. I'm really fascinated by people and the way they communicate, so figuring out how to get a client in the public spotlight is so interesting to me.

The one thing I heard over and over about PR, which remains my favorite aspect of a career in this area, is that there is no typical day and there is no such thing as "9 to 5." My worst nightmare would be to go to a job and do the same exact thing every single day without any sort of excitement or variety. This is the opposite of PR. Just this summer I've had so many fun, random experiences from painting baseballs for a giveaway to writing for a newsletter, posting to the company blog to researching why people prefer a certain franchise over competitors. Aside from a few daily monitors, I go in to work every morning having absolutely no idea what to expect from the day - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you - a big part of the excitement of the industry (especially on the agency side) is bouncing around a number of different projects, clients and industries.

    The wide experience you get doing PR makes you a good person to sit next to on an airplane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. I remember someone telling me once that in an agency you get to be an expert on a lot of random subjects, which I thought was the coolest thing - and definitely makes for good airplane chats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 100% with you. I feel like I could have written this exact same thing. Now if only we could get everyone one to understand PR outside of Carrie Bradshaw!

    ReplyDelete