Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Avoid Gift Cards this Season

I'll admit, I'm guilty (as many people are) of taking the easy way out when it comes to Christmas shopping and giving gift cards every now and then.  While I feel guilty  about being so impersonal, at least I can rest assured that the recipient will find something they like, rather than having to go through the hassle of returning something or worse - pretending to like it.  

I never thought about the risk involved in gift cards until watching this report on CNN this morning.  With the current recession, gift-givers need to be aware that by purchasing a gift card they are essentially paying cash for an IOU - in a company that may be not be around long enough for the gift card to be redeemed.  



CNN's advice? Redeem your gift cards as quickly as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment