Sunday, December 28, 2008

"So what does 'poking' mean?"

The day that I've been anticipating for years finally came.  My mom got on Facebook

Plenty of my friends' parents have already joined the Facebook club.  My mom being the cool mom that she is, I figured it would only be a matter of time before she jumped on the bandwagon.  Sure enough, I was on her laptop a few days ago and went to log in to my page, but it was already logged in to Facebook.  Figuring it was my younger brother's page, I did some exploring only to realize it was my mom's page!  I don't know if it bothered me more to discover that she had made a Facebook page, or to realize I wasn't the first person she had tried to search for and friend.  

Since my discovery we have had a few conversations about her generation's use of social media (as a recent MBA grad, she's also on LinkedIn).  It's so funny to see her try and figure out what it means to "poke" someone and how to tag and untag pictures when these are things that are so normal to people in my generation.  It also makes me wonder how much things will change by the time I have kids, and what they will make fun of me for being confused by...

No comments:

Post a Comment