Sunday, May 10, 2009

Alma Mater, Thee We'll Honor... Georgia Hail to Thee!

I guess I finally need to stop saying it doesn't feel real, because it is real now. Yesterday was the Spring 2009 Commencement ceremony, and I am officially a University of Georgia alumnus.  I can't even begin to put into words all the emotions I have felt over the last couple of days, and I think my eyes have run out of tears because I'm past the point of being able to cry anymore.  

The Grady Convocation was held on Friday afternoon at the Classic Center, and was just as exciting as the big commencement ceremony.  After the speakers, each graduate's name was called and we walked across the stage of the Classic Center theatre to receive our Grady Society pin.  I loved being there with the friends I've made in my wonderful major over the last two years, and am so proud of all my fellow Grady grads.  I love you all, especially the C-Painers, and can't wait to hear about all the amazing things everyone accomplishes in the next stage of their lives.


Yesterday's ceremony was obviously less personal, but it was still so cool sitting on the field of Sanford stadium with the class of 2009.  I loved the speakers, and being able to stand and flip my tassel to the left side (twice - once for Grady, once for Terry) made everything feel worth it.  Not to mention, Grady was definitely the best section to sit in and we cheered the loudest when our dean introduced us!


The weekend was filled with celebrations, friends and family.  I was so lucky to have my wonderful parents and little brother here to laugh and cry with me, and to support me through everything.  So now it's over.  The best four years of my life have come to a close, and I'm preparing for the next step and my big move.  In two weeks, I will leave Athens to go home, say goodbye to all my high school friends, and then move to New York a few days later.  This is the most exciting time of my life, and I can't wait to see how things unfold.  


Cheers to the class of 2009 - we did it! As they pointed out yesterday, sure we're graduating into a difficult economy... but we're ready, and we have been prepared to handle anything life throws our way.  The world will now expect uncommon things of us, because WE are graduates of the University of Georgia. Congratulations everyone, and GO DAWGS!



No comments:

Post a Comment