Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Getting There...

Graduation is just a few days away, and somehow it still doesn't seem real.  Maybe it's because I've been so busy studying for exams, finishing up projects, and making the arrangements for my family's arrival that I haven't actually sat down to think about what this is all for.  My last exam of college is tomorrow at noon, and after that all I will have left are the final corrections on my Campaigns book and I'm done! 

I think when it will really hit me is when I have to start saying goodbye to all the amazing friends I have made over the last few years.  Because, as cliched as it is, college really is so much more than just classes.  Its a personal growing experience filled with friendships that will last a lifetime.  Maybe this is why the end of classes didn't really effect me, and why even after tomorrow I won't truly feel like college is over.  Let's be honest, I'm not that heartbroken that I'll never attend another college class.  I'm starting an internship in a few weeks, and I know I will continue learning new things about the industry I've chosen for the rest of my life, so the learning aspect of college will never truly be over.  From now on, I will be learning only the things that I'm interested in and passionate about.  I will never have to take another exam, or be forced to write a research paper on something I don't care about.  I'm excited to finally learn things on my terms, and not have to take any more pre-requisite courses just because they're required.

The things I'll be sad to leave behind from college will be my amazing friends and the charming little town I've come to call home after the last four years.  Between classes, part time jobs, and especially my study abroad program, I have met some unbelievable people in my time at UGA.  I'm very fortunate that many of my friends will also be moving to New York after graduation, and some others will be nearby throughout the Northeast.  Most of the rest of them will be in Atlanta, and I'm sure I'll be down to visit and go to a Georgia football game when I can.  But we will never all be together like we are now and have the freedom we do now.  After Saturday, my life will change forever... and I'm just waiting for it all to be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment