Tuesday, May 26, 2009

These Are A Few Of My Least Favorite Things...

I found something I hate more than moving... which  I didn't think was actually possible.  I guess it's all part of the moving process though, so it's to be expected.

I hate saying goodbye.  I'm terrible at it.  I can't really imagine anyone out there that doesn't hate it and has actually gotten good at it, but I feel like I have an especially hard time with it.  I also feel like it's all I've been doing lately... all part of the bittersweet process of moving. 

Sunday I had to say goodbye to my life in Athens.  Like I've mentioned, I know I'll go back to visit my Alma Mater, but it was still hard leaving knowing things will never be the same.  A lot of my friends had already left and I'd said bye to them over our last few days there, but saying bye to my roommates was next to impossible.  How do you go from living with someone and seeing them every day for a year to having to say goodbye and not know when you'll even see them next?  I basically cried the first hour of the drive and then listened to music and Dane Cook on my iPod to cheer myself up for the rest of the journey down to Sarasota.

Now I have to say goodbye to my family and friends in Sarasota.  Saying bye to my parents is always hard, especially because once they start crying I absolutely lose it.  I know they're so excited for me and proud of what I'm doing, but that won't make the tearful goodbye at the airport tomorrow any easier.  I know they'll come up as soon as I give them permission to (I insisted that they let me do the majority of the move and unpacking on my own since I'm supposed to be an adult now), but it will still be sad leaving them.  Then there are my high school friends.  Thanks to the fabulous economy we're facing, a lot of them are kind of unsure of what they're doing, which makes things even harder since I really don't know where they'll be in six months.  Some have jobs and are starting in a few months, and some are staying at home while they figure things out.  Either way, I don't know when I'll see them next.  

I guess that's what makes this so hard, that "unknown" factor.  In college, I always knew when I would see everyone next.  We would hug goodbye at Thanksgiving, knowing we would see each other in a few weeks when we all came home for Winter Break.  Now I just don't know, which is so hard to even wrap my head around.  We're all growing up and going in our own directions, which is so exciting but also terrifying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment