Thursday, January 29, 2009

Recession? What recession?

When our country first entered a recession, nobody wanted to admit it.  Political candidates, the media, everyone nervously danced around the term. We all knew what was going on, but labeling it and saying it directly seemed like it could somehow make things worse.

Well, it’s all out in the open now. I can’t turn on a television, open a newspaper, even walk to class without seeing or hearing something about the economic state of our country. While I’m glad we’ve realized what’s going on and are trying to move forward, I’m getting really sick of the word recession.

Yes, I’m graduating in May. Yes, I realize this is a bad time for our economy.

No, I don’t have a job lined up. No, I’m not worried about it.

If I get one more sympathetic look from someone when I say I’m about to graduate, I may scream. Sure, times are tough, the job market is tight, blah blah blah, I’ve heard it all. I’ve heard it so much that it’s just starting to sound like a clichéd excuse.

Recent and upcoming graduates need to take control of their lives and, dare I say it, ignore the recession. Expand your search, put in more hours at that unpaid internship, do anything you can to set yourself apart and make yourself attractive to potential employers. The fact is, there are still jobs out there, landing them is just becoming more competitive. So instead of complaining about the economy, get out there and make things happen for yourselves. If you have a dream, follow it. Everything will work out in the end, because it has to – at least that’s my attitude for the upcoming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment