Tuesday, January 27, 2009

First Day at Epting Events

So yesterday was my first day as an intern at Epting Events, and it was pretty much what I thought it would be - overwhelming!  First days are always scary, you're bombarded with so much information and meet so many people - there's no way to remember everything! 

The coolest part was definitely touring the building.  From the lobby, you would think it's just a small office with a few conference rooms for client meetings... this couldn't be farther from the truth.  Epting is unique in that they do almost everything in-house (they don't have to work with millions of vendors) - they have a floral department, catering, decorations, furniture & place settings - you name it, it's probably in their massive warehouse.  I could have easily spent hours walking around, looking at all of the cool lights, flowers, and decorations.  We also met other interns and event coordinators along the way, and everyone was super nice.  

Then we got to work on our main project.  I will be working with two other interns on re-organizing style books to show to clients.  This sounds like a small project, but it's really not. Our first part of the project will be wedding-specific, and then as time allows we will move on to other kinds of events.  Yesterday we spent hours going through wedding style books and magazines searching for inspiration for the books and making notes about different themes and seasons.  I'll admit it, I've never been one of those girls who dreamed about all the little details of her wedding... until now.  It's addictive! The flowers, the lights, the food, it's all so fun and extravagant!  I think I'll get to work on planning my wedding now... no, I don't have a boyfriend, but that's just a minor detail.

While this project will be my biggest focus, I will get to assist the event coordinators with anything they may need around the office.  I also plan to attend as many events as possible to see how the final products turn out.  Overall, I'm really excited about the experience and just can't wait to soak up as much information as possible about this industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment